Frantsuzov Aleksey Vyacheslavovich, Chief designer, the mechanization department of Mosmetrostroy (42 Varshavskoe highway, Moscow, Russia), email@example.com
Shapovalov Yaroslav Igorevich, Leading design engineer, the mechanization department of Mosmetrostroy (42 Varshavskoe highway, Moscow, Russia), firstname.lastname@example.org
Vdovin Denis Sergeevich, Candidate of engineering sciences, associate professor, sub-department SM-10 “Wheeled machinery”, Bauman State Technical University of Moscow (building 1, 5 2-ya Baumanskaya street, Moscow, Russia), email@example.com
Background. The paper describes load-bearing components of lifting equipment. As an example, the authors consider two load-bearing links of a taking grip for tubings mounted in underground tunnels of 8,5m and 9,5m in diameter. The research subject is a new design process for load-bearing links based on the topology optimization
method. The purpose of the study is to substantially decrease the link’s weight with no strength and stiffness loss in comparison with “traditional” structures.
Materials and methods. The topology optimization method was used as an initial guess for optimal loadpaths in the links of the grip. The article considers essential steps of the topology optimization method: how to build design space for two loadbearing links1 of the grip; how to apply forces and boundary conditions in a number of loadcases. The final strength check was carried out using standard finite element analysis for the same loadcases.
Results. The results of topology optimization have displayed optimal loadpaths in the load bearing links of the grip; then loadpaths were embodied into a technologically feasible construction for two links of the grip. The final strength check with the standard finite element method showed good strength and stiffness of the links. The grip with two optimized links was manufactured and successfully tested.
Conclusions. The main achievement of the present study is 1,5 times reduction of the two load-bearing links’ mass in comparison with the previous “traditional” design, and, therefore, topology optimization is an effective way to construct loadbearing structures for lifting equipment.
topology optimization, finite element analysis, load-bearing parts, lifting machines, tunnel building
1. Bendsoe M. P., Kikuchi N. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering. 1988, vol. 7.
2. Vdovin D. S., Kotiev G. O. Traktory i sel'khozmashiny [Tractors and agricultural machinery]. 2014, no. 8, pp. 33–36.
3. Aleksandrov M. P., Kolobov L. N., Lobov N. A., Nikol'skaya T. A., Polkovnikov V. S. Gruzopod"emnye mashiny: uchebnik dlya vuzov po spetsial'nosti «Pod"emnotransportnye mashiny i oborudovanie» [Lifting machines: textbook for the university major “Lifting and transport machinery and equipment”]. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1986, 400 p.
4. Braude V. I., Gokhberg M. M., Zyagin I. E., Nikolskaya T. A., Polkovnikov V. S. Spravochnik po kranam: v 2 t. T. 1. Kharakteristiki materialov i nagruzok. Osnovy rascheta kranov, ikh privodov i metallicheskikh konstruktsiy [Crane reference book: in 2 volumes. Vol. 1. Materials and loading properties. Basic calculations of cranes, driving gears and metallic structures thereof]. Moscow: Mashinostroenie, 1988, 536 p.
5. Shabolin M. L., Vdovin D. S. Izvestiya Moskovskogo gosudarstvennogo tekhnicheskogo universiteta MAMI [Bulletin of Moscow State Technical University MAMI]. 2016, no. 4 (30), pp. 90–96.